Teaching English in Taiwan!
Taiwan's teachers' board is providing a discussion forum for anyone involved in teaching or learning English. Improve your English!
  Teachers board
Teaching English and living in Taiwan

Welcome to the ESL activity board. We provide a discussions forum for teaching ESL in Taipei, Taiwan. The Bulletin board is for ESL job search and classifieds free for schools and teachers. Teaching English as a second language to young students has many different concepts. We are grateful for anyone sharing his/her thoughts and experiences in this forum!
Chat at Taiwan-taipei.com
Choose a nickname

You are not logged in.
LoginLogin Join for freeJoin for free
MessagesMessages SearchSearch HelpHelp StatStatistics
ChatChat VotesVotes FilesFiles CalendarCalendar BookmarksBookmarks
How to find an apartment in Taiwan

First   Previous   Next   Last
Webm
New PostCreated: 2005-12-26, 07:37 PM CET  Subject: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  print thread  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Finding an apartment in Taiwan might be a little tricky for foreigners. Many do not speak or read Chinese, don't know the rules and the laws. In Taiwan landlords used to be very powerful and in Taipei in the old times. People just got kicked out from one day to another. But there are laws now that can prevent this from happening to you.

contracts  
Rental contracts can be bought in a bookstore and most contracts are in Chinese language.
Get someone who can help you reading it.
You'll need two copies one for you and one for the landlord.
Make sure both contracts are identical.
If something gets written into the contract make sure that it will be stamp using the Chinese signature stamp over each additional writing.
There is no last month rent in Taiwan most landlords take two month deposit.
If you don't have the money for moving in you often times can negotiate two month for moving in and then working up the second month deposit by paying one and a half month rent the following two month.

Before moving out

Either you completed the usual 1 Yeah term or most contracts allow you to give a four weeks notice on which you can get your full deposit back.

Give the apartment back three days before the month ends and make it cash for keys.

Have witnesses around and keep one last furniture in the place which you can then grab and go.

If you give back a nice clean and intact apartment and the landlord refuses to pay back the deposit you are legally still in the place. Tell him either the deposit or he can come back in three days.

If you ruined the apartment be fair and pay for the damage.

Once you give him the key get it documented that he gave you the deposit back.

I never heard of someone fighting things in cord here and it doesn't make much sense. Find another job an work some extra hours to make up for losses.

change your locks after you moved in it'll cost you about 3000 Nt$ best is you install it yourself.

So nobody else knows which key can open that door.

Don't be surprised there are extra charges you'll have to pay which aren't listed in your contract like elevator bill and the security guard hallway and stairway lights etc. Make sure you know how much it 'will be before signing the contract.

So how to find those apartments?

One way will be to look in the streets you want to live. Apartment owners will usually hang big signs into the apartments window. Write down the numbers and call them. Many of those signs are hung out by agencies who do the job for the landlord make sure you know how much commission they'll take from you.

Now last thing my own experiences except one apartment landlord.

What you see is what you get! The owner will say “we will clean we will paint we will renovate!”

forget it!

I only met one Landlord who really put in those second set of windows we asked for and a new kitchen and all the others just cared for you to pay and be trapped with them. And for those who pass a dirty pest infested death and tbc stinky place to you. Many times they'll still be registered in your place because they aren't paying tax. They'll have their fingers in your mailbox every day. And when you are finished cleaning and renovating they'll threaten you to kick you out if you don't like to share your mailbox. And my trick with those three days left is really required to get your money back.

Good luck

Ieuan Dolby
New PostCreated: 2007-05-01, 09:19 AM CET  Subject: Re: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

I have a nice apartment available for long term rent - 3 bedroomed with extra room as
studio. Fully fitted and airconditioned throughout. Comes with sitting
room, and dining area, fitted ktichen with large fridge and washing
machine and balconies. It is situated on Longde road, Gushan District
of kaohsiung City, five minutes walk from the newbuilding metro station
and near to numerous parks and the art gallery. Contact me by email for
more information.
Lung Michel
New PostCreated: 2007-07-19, 08:55 AM CET  Subject: Re: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Dear,

I'm born in Belgian but my parents are from TW/Taipei. I'm planning to live in TW in about a year and a half. That's why I'm preparing the field so that when the day was comme I will be ready to take the plane to TW. And it's also a way to meet people from same origine and to know each other.

Thank you

Alexia
New PostCreated: 2007-09-21, 04:25 AM CET  Subject: Re: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Furnished Apartment by MRT Guting staion - near by NTNU

Monthly Rent: $1,100
City: Taipei
State/Province: Taiwan
Type: Apartments

New Apartment for Rent at Taipei's heart District, Best Street and Most Convenient Location
• Near by National Taiwan Normal University
• Very clean and pretty, great environment!
Starbucks, Hagen-Daz, Mister Donut within walking distance!
• Building newly built and rooms newly furnished
• Right by Guting Metro Station exit 7, 2 minute walk!
• Modern shops and traditional markets around
Western life style nearby with pubs,reasturants, diners, etc.

• 533 Sq. Ft., w/ 11 feet high ceiling,
USD$1100/mo. Min. 1-yr lease.
Call Alexia at 0930-973347 . Or

Ieuan Dolby
New PostCreated: 2007-09-23, 05:59 PM CET  Subject: Re: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Zitat: Ieuan Dolby
    I have a nice apartment available for long term rent - 3 bedroomed with extra room as
    more information.
Sophie
New PostCreated: 2008-09-10, 07:31 AM CET  Subject: Re: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

Hello, is you apart still to rent ? We are 3 students looking for an apart to rent for 1 semester.

thanks,
sophie

Zitat: Ieuan Dolby
    more information.
dave
New PostCreated: 2008-09-10, 07:47 AM CET  Subject: Re: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

hi there
did you see the date?
you can try but won't worth the effort.
go here and see if something is availabe. apartments in taipei
Audrey Lee-Gulotty
New PostCreated: 2009-03-20, 02:46 PM CET  Subject: Re: How to find an apartment in Taiwan  print  recommend Reply with Quotation  

2 brand new studio apartments for rent in the heart of the financial district, steps away from Taipei 101:

- 540 Sq.Ft each (15 ping)
- 9th floor of a 19 story building
- Custom interior design, fully furnished with plenty of room for storage
- One has hardwood floor throughout, one has wall to wall carpeting
- Comes with LCD TV, queen bed, a computer desk, 2 chairs, love seat sofa, coffee table, washer and dryer
- A kitchenette with dish dryer, electric cooking surface, sink and plenty of storage for cookware, pots and pans, a multifunctional table that can be used as a dining table or a work desk
- State of the art bathroom with separate room for tub and shower area, temperature control in the bathroom so you stay warm and dry in the winter
- Rooftop has a large swimming pool, a deck area for lounging, a sauna pool, a gym, locker/changing rooms, even a life guard on duty when the pool is open and a beautiful view of Taipei 101
- B1 has conference room space with KTV
- Hotel management style with 24 hr concierge desk, magnetic card and security code access to your apartment with round the clock monitoring
- 10 minutes from City Hall MRT station
- NT$34,000/month/studio (includes monthly maintenance fee) ~US$978.00
- One parking space available for rent, if needed

For inquiries, please contact Audrey Lee-Gulotty at or 0988.987.407
Sortierung ändern:  
First   Previous   Next   Last
Page 1 of 1
Go to:   
Search