LoginLogin Kostenlos anmeldenKostenlos anmelden
BeiträgeBeiträge MembersMitglieder SucheSuche HilfeHilfe
VotesUmfragen FilesDateien CalendarKalender BookmarksBookmarks
travelling solo to Machu Picchu in August

Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Autor Beitrag
bargeprawns
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 21.05.19, 12:27  Betreff: travelling solo to Machu Picchu in August  drucken  Thema drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

I love travelling by myself so I can make new friends. Who else is going on this trip? I live in San Antonio now.I won't even get started on not allowing singles to take advantage of that HUGE discount. How long do I have to work to pay for that price differential????

Benutzerprofil anzeigen Private Nachricht an dieses Mitglied senden
fuppetbed
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 21.05.19, 12:27  Betreff: Re: travelling solo to Machu Picchu in August  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

Zitat: bargeprawns
    I love travelling by myself so I can make new friends. Who else is going on this trip? I live in San Antonio now.I won't even get started on not allowing singles to take advantage of that HUGE discount. How long do I have to work to pay for that price differential????
Many people who are part of a long time couple just don't always"get" the solos who live alone and may not wish to share a room with anyone - particularly a stranger! Some of us are very light sleepers. Some of the older travelers might get up and use the bathroom several times per night. Not all GCT/OAT travelers go to bed at 9pm or get up hours before the bus leaves. The thought of someone having to put up with that and/or them having to put up with a late night bird/late as possible riser such as my self sows the seeds for ruining two people's trip experiences...

gaironerous
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 21.05.19, 12:28  Betreff: Re: travelling solo to Machu Picchu in August  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

But that aside, as a traveler who came to OAT because of the no supplement solo policy and who needs to travel on a budget, one of the most overlooked "unfairnesses" of this policy is that is that it hurts women far more than men. Yes, there are more of us. But within that large group, some travel with friends or family; to me, that's not "solo". And some actually would like a room mate/travel companion. That's also not "solo" and is the same inventory wise as a couple. But then there are those of us who are truly solo. We love interacting with a group, but want our own space to relax in.

bargeprawns
Mitglied

New PostErstellt: 21.05.19, 12:28  Betreff: Re: travelling solo to Machu Picchu in August  drucken  weiterempfehlen Antwort mit Zitat  

Zitat: gaironerous
    But that aside, as a traveler who came to OAT because of the no supplement solo policy and who needs to travel on a budget, one of the most overlooked "unfairnesses" of this policy is that is that it hurts women far more than men. Yes, there are more of us. But within that large group, some travel with friends or family; to me, that's not "solo". And some actually would like a room mate/travel companion. That's also not "solo" and is the same inventory wise as a couple. But then there are those of us who are truly solo. We love interacting with a group, but want our own space to relax in.
Or work in (yes, some of us still work and need to be in touch with the real world while away). But because of the abundance of women travelers, it's now expected that we have to say yes to sharing just to get a discount or last minute trip? That's BS.... How many men - who are not related to each other or who are not in a coupled relationship share a room? Do truly solo male travelers ACTUALLY GET MATCHED WITH A ROOM MATE?? Come on - in this age group.... I hardly think they request it, so the odds of getting a room mate are pretty slim comparatively. In the 10 trips I've taken (8 OAT, 2 GCT) - I've never seen 2 men sharing who weren't father/son, brothers, or a gay couple.

fuppetbed
Mitglied

Last minute deals seem to be for trips that aren't selling - because as we've all noticed, the prices have gone up considerably. The pre/post trips have always been over priced for what you get in my opinion. With a little effort, one can arrange the same for less money. OAT makes a profit on those trips along with their visa services and their insurance policies that many people seem to prefer to buy rather than to save by doing it themselves. So it doesn't seem like the company is loosing money. But who knows? I've heard that the "bean counters" regarding this policy are in fact the owners, so perhaps it's time for them to stop bragging about "being number one in solo travel". It's a slap in the face to those of us who have been loyal, multi-trip per year travelers and came into the fold because of the small groups and the feeling that "solos" were welcomed.

gaironerous
Mitglied

Zitat: fuppetbed
    Last minute deals seem to be for trips that aren't selling - because as we've all noticed, the prices have gone up considerably. The pre/post trips have always been over priced for what you get in my opinion. With a little effort, one can arrange the same for less money. OAT makes a profit on those trips along with their visa services and their insurance policies that many people seem to prefer to buy rather than to save by doing it themselves. So it doesn't seem like the company is loosing money. But who knows? I've heard that the "bean counters" regarding this policy are in fact the owners, so perhaps it's time for them to stop bragging about "being number one in solo travel". It's a slap in the face to those of us who have been loyal, multi-trip per year travelers and came into the fold because of the small groups and the feeling that "solos" were welcomed.
I travel on my own to western countries. But I've greatly enjoyed OAT trips to Asia, India, and Africa - places where one should use a guide for both a better learning experience and for safety. They've all been truly wonderful experiences. However, there are other fish in the sea and regrettably, I too will now be looking elsewhere for adventure travel.

Sortierung ndern:  
Anfang   zurück   weiter   Ende
Seite 1 von 1
Search